Responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, preparation and maintenance of quality standards, sanitation and cleanliness, training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion, cost control, and sanitation and cleanliness.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Nala Restaurants: dba Thai76, Surya Tiffins, One Mean Chicken
- Must have a current and up-to-date State of Illinois ServSafe Managers permit.
- Must be First Aid and CPR certified.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Instruct cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Work with restaurant managers to plan and price menu items, establish portion sizes, and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Schedule personnel as required for anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Order or requisition food, equipment, or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition.
- Ensure that deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Plan, direct, or supervise the food preparation or cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants.
- Coordinate planning, budgeting, or purchasing for all the food operations with the Director of Culinary.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Meet with sales representatives to order supplies from approved vendors.
- Make employment and termination decisions including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate, always with the direction of the Director of Culinary.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies regarding personnel are followed, and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules, and procedures.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures to new kitchen employees.
- Oversee the continuous training of kitchen employees on kitchen equipment, utensils, cleanliness, sanitation practices, proper lifting and carrying techniques, and handling hazardous materials.
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes or menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients or the likely number of guests.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques or equipment to staff.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Meet with guests to discuss menus for special occasions, such as weddings, parties, or banquets.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
Tools & Technology (examples in parentheses)
- Blast freezers and chillers
- Cappuccino or espresso machines
- Carbonated beverage dispenser
- Commercial use:
- Domestic tools:
- Fire blankets
- Fire extinguishers
- Ice dispensers
- Ice shaver machines or accessories
- Non-carbonated beverage dispenser
- Notebook computers
- Personal computers
- Point-of-sale terminals and workstations
- blenders, choppers, cubers, dicers, graters, grinders, peelers, processors, and/or slicers
- broilers, deep fryers, griddles, grills, heat lamps, high pressure steamers, microwave ovens, ovens, pizza ovens, ranges, rice cookers, rotisseries, smokers, steamers, toasters, waffle irons
- coffee grinders
- coffee or iced tea makers
- cotton candy machines or accessories
- dough machines
- food warmers
- measuring cups
- pasta machines
- popcorn machines
- rolling pins
- apple corer
- double boilers
- garnishing tools
- kitchen or food thermometers
- kitchen tongs
- knife sharpeners
- melon or butter baller
- strainers or colanders
- trash compactors
- vegetable brush
- whipped cream maker